Monday 30 September 2013

My Special Apple Crumble Recipe


We have been celebrating our anniversary this week, so in celebration I decided to make an Apple Crumble. This is one of Jake's fav desserts of all time and I am pleased to say still is!

This crumble brings fond memories of my childhood talking to myself/pretending to host my own 'cooking show' (only child here). I have been making this pie since I was kid and it has never failed to please my loved ones. This is a simple but delish recipe, if I could make it when I was ten I am sure you will have no problems!

Kim's Apple Crumble 

Ingredients

Base
1 sheet of Edmond's Sweet Short Pastry.
I have been using this same pastry for years, I know it's not homemade but I have made homemade a few times and this is just as good. It can be cheaper to buy the block version of it and roll it out, but this is way easier. If you are game make your own pastry here.

Filling
4 apples peeled and diced
enough water to cover the apples in saucepan
1 teaspoon of cinnamon or mixed spice
2 tablespoons of brown sugar

1-2 tablespoons of cornflour mixed with water to make a paste

Crumble
1 cup plain baking flour
1 cup of oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
100 g soften butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Pull out a sheet of pastry and place on your pie dish to defrost. 
  2. Filling: Boil apples on a medium heat with water, cinnamon and sugar for 10-15 mins or until soft.
  3. While the the apples are cooking push your defrosted pastry into your dish and blind bake for 10-15 mins. Cool while finishing off the apple filling.
  4. Add your cornflour paste into your apple filling and rapidly boil for 1 min while stirring. It should be nice and thick like lemon curd. If it is not thick enough make more cornflour paste. 
  5. Leave filling and pastry to cool while making the crumble. 
  6. Crumble: Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl,  rub butter into flour with your fingertips, or process in a food processor to looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in sugar.
  7. Add apple filling into your pastry, then sprinkle crumble mix on top.
  8. Bake at 180°C for 20-30 minutes or until crumble is golden.
Serve warm with custard or vanilla ice cream! 

Enjoy,

I am,

Kim :)

2 comments:

  1. Planning to try this one on weekend! Thanks for sharing this lovely recipe :)

    ReplyDelete